Sunday, July 8, 2012


I have been binging on women’s travel narratives and with each story am just blown away by the women who write them. I was lucky enough to happen upon one collection and then sought others out with rabid hunger. Why? Because I have an unprecedented and insatiable desire to travel, but I am currently locked in place for of a variety of reasons. I am living a feminist “dream” life. I moved to Washington, DC recently because my partner was accepted to a top program here. I work with women at a local non-profit and I am involved in various activist projects, but I can’t seem to shake my restlessness.

So this blog may have a two-fold purpose—first taking a look at women’s travel narratives and second unpacking my own restlessness that fueled this project. I am amazed by the stories of these women who managed to travel alone when everyone said it was too “dangerous” or better yet became expats. I hope to explore women’s stories of travel from a feminist perspective and in the process possibly explore a bit of myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment